Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Blimey Truth

I'm always going to quit teaching once or twice a year. I walk into my Principal's office and exclaim, "I quit. I'm through, I don't care anymore and THEY don't pay me enough." She smiles hands me some chocolate tells me to have a seat and says back, "You don't really mean that. Tell me what happened." These quitting episodes always seem to coincide with Parent Teacher Conferences, the beginning of the Legislative sessions and the darkest part of winter and my nastiest cold of the year.
Usually it's because I told some parent what was up with their child and they didn't want to hear it...so I become the bad guy.

My problem is I tend to tell the truth. Un-sugar coated. Black and white with a how do you like that. My up front approach with my take it or leave it attitude gets me in trouble quite a bit. Apparently people aren't used to it. They're used to sweet little teachers who play nice. I've tried over the years to scale back and not be up front. Can't do it. It just doesn't come naturally to me. I call a spade a spade. One thing is for sure...you know where you stand with me, no games. I've learned it's how I am and so I must deal with the fall out.

I wonder though, "If you didn't want to know my opinion, Why did you ask in the first place?"

So...what kind of occupation should I have gone into where people need the Blimey Truth?

1 comment: