As many of you may know, I spent last year working on a Master's degree in conjunction with applying for National Board Certification. National Board Certification allows me to teach in nearly any state without having to apply for a new certificate in a state if I should move from one state to another. We will be moving states for Vet school so National Board Certification is a really good idea for me to achieve. Some other advantages are many states put their teachers in the PhD pay lane if NBCT certification is acquired. Not Utah though, ARE YOU KIDDING? Yeah, right...
NBCT certification is a lengthy, grueling process. A teacher must submit a portfolio with 4 specific entries and a reflection section as well as take a 4 hour essay exam which includes 6 different sections at a Pearson testing center. Two entries require video taping yourself teach, and then a written commentary on your teaching. After everything is submitted you wait from June until the end of November for your scores. Each entry is hand scored by three teachers who have reached NBCT status in several different parts of the nation.
Scores were posted today. Needless to say, I was a bit NERVOUS! A year of my life summed up in a few pages.
I didn't pass on the first go round. I scored 270... You must score 275 to pass. 5 points. I dare say it's a bit aggravating to have to retake one entry for 5 points! I'm looking at it as a HUGE learning experience. On my written exam I had perfect scores in two areas. I blew them out of the water. As well as on two of my portfolio entries (not perfect scores but very GOOD scores!) One score on one portfolio entry was NOT so good. I'm having a hard time seeing why it was SO BAD! I'm not even going to look at it. I figure I'll get the new rubric and start from scratch... the new entry can't be anything like the old anyway... I might as well.
My PriciPAL had a few kind words to say to me: 1. She knows of no one who passed on the first try. and 2. Two perfect scores? Are you serious? That is unheard of!
I have to admit she made me feel MUCH better!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


It's fantastic that you did so well on 4 separate areas. How many times to people take the SAT, ACT, LST (law) and GST (graduate) exams? Almost everyone takes them more than once.
ReplyDeleteDo not be discouraged and keep trying!
It sounds like you have a great attitude, good luck in the next round.
ReplyDelete