Saturday, July 30, 2011

Moving to Missouri

We miraculously made it to Missouri. I'm not quite sure how. As we headed into Wyoming Lynn's truck did what is known as a "Death Wobble". It means the front track bar became loose and the truck literally wobbles. The occupants get shaken to death. I watched the truck shake and jump in my rear-view mirror. I knew my son, husband and the horse trailer complete with Hank and Henrietta were all dead. Lynn was able to pull the truck to the side and all was well. With some "rigging" we limped into Evanston with no trouble.

A quick fix and we were on our way, right? Until we drove into Nebraska. We stopped for dinner and as we pulled out from the KFC a storm was blowing in. We still had a few hours until we reached North Platte. I was following Lynn. As anyone savvy to the Midwest knows: when the radio beeps three times and tells you to seek shelter...TORNADO!!! The radio beeped. Abby was hysterically crying. We said a prayer and she calmed down. I couldn't reach Lynn on his cell phone to tell him to pull over. He was jamming to his i-pod and didn't hear the three beeps. So...I flashed my brights to get him to pull over. He, well, he doesn't pay attention. So all I could do was ride his tail and drive like the wind. And the thunder rolled! Soon we were out of the tornado warning area and spotted no tornadoes. PHEW! We made it to North Platte and all was well.

Weigh station in the AM...The kind police officer warned us the bridges into Missouri crossing the Missouri River just east of Lincoln, NB were closed due to flooding. We would have to change our route. Doesn't this trip just get better? We could go South through Kansas or North through Iowa. We went North and decided to take an extra day and visit Winter Quarters.

Dum, Dum, Dum, Dum... DEATH WOBBLE!!!! Coming around a bend in Omaha. I was behind Lynn this time. Our quick truck fix made in Evanston went out. Lynn was in the center lane sandwiched between two semi trucks. At the same time the realtor from the rental place for our duplex called my cell wondering why we weren't in town. She was concerned we were going to leave her empty handed with an empty duplex and we were yanking her around. The check for our deposit hadn't made it to her yet. Needless to say I began to talk out loud about Lynn's truck and ignore what she was saying. Yep, hard to concentrate on her while watching Lynn Death Wobble. This time I was losing, Elise, Lynn, the horses and our house to be. We were near the Winter Quarter's Visitor's Center's door step. We pulled into the parking lot and the missionaries were very helpful. They watched the kids while Lynn and I went to a parts store and picked up a new track bar. Lynn fixed it in the parking lot and we went on to Des Moines. We got to spend some much needed time in a cool air conditioned building and gain a new respect for our ancestors. Lynn called the Realtors and everything was back on track. The realtor was full of sympathy when we explained our situation.

Finally, the next morning we were able to drive into Fulton! Hot and tired we made it. We had to wait 4 days for ABF to deliver the moving truck and temperature was 105 with humidity! But, we're here and we're settling in. We have each other and we love our new ward!

Here's to Missouri and moving cross country!
P.S. Did I mention the 5 gallon bucket with our fish in it? Oh, yes. We hauled our fish across the country. Bob is still alive and kicking his fins. You'll remember at one time my family was taking bets on how long he would last with my fish killing abilities. Not only did he survive the last 3 years, but our cross country trek along with Alice the Algae eater, Foo (who under stress lost his tail fins but they are growing back), and Small Fry (the feeder fish Elise brought home for Foo and Bob to eat but they haven't yet). Not too bad eh?
P.P.S. We left Bullseye with my Mom, To keep her company and so she'd have something to mother. So far, so good. :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wild adventure! I am glad you all got there safely. I am happy to hear you like your ward. That makes a big difference when moving to a new place. Wards can be full of instant friends or instant meanies.

    ReplyDelete