Thursday, June 9, 2011

Special Needs Children


One of the things that can break a mother's heart is the constant battle and vigil she holds for her "special needs child". It is never ending. It is especially hard when your child holds no appearance of being special needs, nor do they "act" like they are special needs. The only thing to tip you off this child might be different is "They act sorta strange at times."

In the past two weeks I've battled a Junior High teacher about accepting 2 late assignments, a scout leader I would definitely in my strong un-lady like language call a prick (yes, I make my mother proud...), and the myriad of youth who make fun of and shun my child. Not to mention the adults in sacrament meeting who laugh at him when he doesn't "get" a pattern for passing the sacrament and messes up.

I've spent hours on my knees pleading for his saftey and happiness. I've worn out pens in the temple writing his name on little slips of paper. I spend hours explaining things normal children and their parents take for granted to his absolutely literal brain. I don't know how many times I've told him to "Write out the problem so the teacher knows you can solve it. She can't see what's in your head."

The worst are his anxiety attacks; especially when other adults take his anxiety to just be defiance. He feels his greatests accomplishment in life was overcoming his fear of waterskiing. I have some good friends to thank for that...and their great patience.

I spend time cuddling his younger sister who has taken it upon herself to his protector. She feels guilty when she fails and other people are mean to him or she overhears some of my battles with adults. I don't know how many times I've told her she's just a child and she doesn't have to take them on as well as me. I thank her for her great love for her brother. She's quite amazing.

I wish people could see what I see. He is sooo amazing. He has a talent for music like no other child I know. I wish I could do math in my head. I afraid I'm hopeless at that one. He is gentle. He loves animals and babies. I wish people knew how hard he tries and knew and celebrated all his little triumphs with us.

I have a cousin who has a special needs child who is much more obvious than mine. She often talks about how grateful she is when people include him and love him.

I think having this child in my home is teaching me more about "Judge not that ye be not judged."

And yet, through it all he seems to be thriving, accepting and happy. What more can you ask for?

1 comment:

  1. Becky, I have found amazing scout leaders in CA and VA. I hope your move to MO will prove to be a success and a scout leader will take him under his wing and love him unconditionally. School may even ultimately be better then the UT schools. I found the CA and VA schools to be far superior with special needs over what we experienced in UT. Scouts and seminary has been our saving grace with Scott. It is hard when they are not "noticeably" special needs. Even with Scott - he might be obvious but even so I remember wishing he had some sort of identifying look like Downs Syndrome so people would clue in quickly and not need time to analyze him to death! I'm sorry you are so discouraged - I wish we could go to lunch and chat! Chin up! Glad you posted again. Keep it up as I want to know about your move and everything else!

    ReplyDelete