Saturday, August 1, 2009

What to do When Your Babies Grow Up...
















Sounds like a good title, eh? Wish I knew. One second you're rushing to the NICU to change their diapers and make feeding and bath time and the next thing you know they're 8!

I have a favorite country song I listen to these days, heck if I know who sings it. If you know please tell me. I never get to hear the artist who sings the song because I sing along and my kids who are in the van with me act like they are dying an ignominious death and scream and cry until I quit singing. Yeah, I probably would too if I had to listen to me.

Oh, the song..... It's "Don't Blink". That's right. Don't blink. They grow up too fast. I've tried really hard to enjoy my babies at the age they are and not wish the time away. I made sure I cuddled them and rocked them as much as I could. Cuddling and rocking is quite the feat with a baby sucking on a bottle in each arm and a 3 year old in the middle of your lap having his favorite story read to him for the millionth time. But somewhere along the way, I blinked. My baby girls turned 8 and were baptized on the 4Th of July. Quite the experience if you asked them and me. Two is always better than one. :) Someone made the comment about how pretty their white baptism dresses were. Gorgeous! It never ceases to amaze me how different these two babies born 4 minutes apart are in size, taste and everything. Just look at the difference in those two dresses. Abby danced around the dress shop in the 3 way mirror. The sales lady commented on the happy little princess she was. Elise always takes the grand entrance the more drama the better and after 20 dresses found the one that was just right and made her "Queen of the Hour" Entrance. The next comment was, "Soon you'll be helping them pick out their wedding dresses." My jaw dropped in shock. WEDDING DRESSES?!?!? Who are you kidding? These are my little 4 pound babies. BITE your tongue! Lynn patted my back later and told me I had a good 20 years if he could help it. Better be 20 at least, no less than 15!

Now tonight, my baby boy is on his first Boy Scout overnight camp out! Sigh, sniffle, sniffle, snort. As Elise said, "Mom, it's not like he hasn't gone before. Dad's with him too. Jeez!" True, Lynn was the 11 year old scout leader and Bray always got to go too. BUT, this is the first time he's gotten to go with his troop, as a scout, and Lynn isn't the leader. He's sleeping in his tent with his friend Justin. Oh, my baby boy.

Then tonight, Abby grabs her teddy and blankie and climbs in my lap to be cuddled. Ahhh! bliss! Just how I like it. I guess I've got a bit more time. Then Elise climbs in my lap! I was a virtual twin sandwich! No way I could fit all 3 now if I wanted to. I rocked my babies and I remember, "Don't Blink!"

No comments:

Post a Comment